[MITgcm-support] open boundary condition cost

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 14 04:15:23 EDT 2008

Hi Suneet,

what's happening is that either during the read of the
OB control variable (xx_obc...) or the read of the
OB cost function, you are trying to read a non-existing record
(not clear from the output provided where the model stops).
This could have three reasons,
1. not enough records in your cost file
2. not enough records in your control file (less likely)
3. mismatch in file precision for cost file (e.g.
    you provide 32bit file, but try to read 64bit file)
Have you checked and properly set open boundary values in
data.ctrl (for OB control) and data.ecco (for OB cost)?
You could try to first only do
#define ALLOW_OBCSN_CONTROL
#undef ALLOW_OBCSN_COST_CONTRIBUTION
i.e. don't use the cost function penalty term.
I think tough the code wants both (at least it used to),
and complains if you don't have the cost term, so you need to
temporarily comment the "complaint".
I (embarrassingly) forgot which routine,
but should be easy to find once you get to that point.

-Patrick