[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 13 17:53:51 EDT 2008

Hello Martin, Jeff, and Samar

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I am not disputing what is causing the cooling, I just want to fix the
problem.
Your help to do this is much appreciated.
Also, it is not necessarily the same problem that Dror and Jeff
reported, I agree,
despite some similarities.

I'll be away this coming week, but I am very interested in your suggestions.
In case you reply to this message, I'll get back to you when I return.

1) I ran again the coupled ocean-mixed layer atmosphere for 50 years,
changing the advection scheme to 3rd. order upwind, using a staggered
time step,
turning off the shaved cells, and replacing useOldFreezing by
allowFreezing=.TRUE.

I still get the cold temperatures.

As Martin guessed, the cold water sinks from the surface.
This happens around Antarctica
(there is cold water at all depths there) and spreads across the ocean
bottom,
regardless of  the new advection scheme and the removal of shaved cells.

So, I may need to go back and find what is wrong on the surface
(something that
I've been doing for quite a while).
One possibility is that my surface forcing shortwave dataset is bad
(it is ERBE surface radiation budget, but I already used NCEP
Reanalysis, and ERA40,
and the problems are about the same.)
Another possibility is that the bulk formulas for longwave,
sensible and latent heat are not very good (but they are more or less
standard).
We use Trenberth wind speed on the bulk formulas, and I hope this is an
ok dataset.
I also used other wind products but the problems weren't fixed.
Another possibility is that there is a bug on my code.
I already searched extensively for bugs, found and fixed several, but of
course there may be a bug.

2) I am trying to avoid any artificial heat source.
I just learned from Martin that one of these is "useOldFreezing",
which should be replaced by allowFreezing=.TRUE., which I will adopt
from now on.

However, I presume another artificial heat source is surface temperature
relaxation to
climatological data (i.e. a non-zero value for tauThetaClimRelax).
I don't use surface temperature relaxation in the coupled runs.

I just ran the (non-coupled) test case global_ocean.90x40x15 with and
without surface
temperature relaxation, and the difference in the resulting temperature
field is very large on the
first three or four levels.

I wonder if any of you have done successful coupled runs without surface
temperature relaxation.
(Our goal for the coupled runs is certainly to avoid surface temperature
relaxation.)

3) I would much appreciate if you can advise on what KPP and GM
parameters I should use.
I am using what I could find on a few test cases and some suggestions of
others,
but I am afraid I may be choosing bad values, and producing wrong
vertical and horizontal mixing.
Aside from the atmosphere code itself, this could be yet another cause
of problems, right?
I  don't know if the KPP and GM values below are reasonable for my
4deg X 4deg X 24 levels (10m spacing on the top 100m) grid.

A) In the "data" namelist:

 viscAr=1.E-3
 viscAh=5.E5
 diffKhT=0.0
 diffKrT=3.E-5
 diffKhS=0.0
 diffKrS=3.E-5
 implicitDiffusion=.TRUE.,
 implicitViscosity=.TRUE.,

B) In the data.kpp namelist (this namelist is actually empty)
 &KPP_PARM01
 &

C) In the data.gmredi namelist:

  GM_background_K    = 1.e+3,
  GM_taper_scheme    = 'gkw91',
  GM_maxSlope        = 1.e-2,
  GM_Kmin_horiz      = 50.,
  GM_Scrit           = 4.e-3,
  GM_Sd              = 1.e-3,

4) Samar's suggestions/questions:

A) I still didn't implement sea ice.  I am trying to solve the current
problem before I venture into more coding,
and to keep it simple, as you suggested.
B) My mixed layer atmosphere version uses exactly the same T grid of MITgcm.
The grid cell areas are the same.
So I don't need to do spatial interpolation of atmospheric fluxes that
are passed to the ocean.
I assume Matlab does a decent job interpolating standard datasets to the
T grid, and this is what I use off line.

5) Jeff's question:

I determined the ocean heat content by integrating it spatially and in
time over a long 1000 year run.
It decreases from ~ 3x10**25 J to ~ 1.5x10**25 J during this period.
Then I saw the inordinate amount of cold water on the ocean bottom.
Since you and Dror reported spurious cold bottom water also,
perhaps caused by the advection scheme or bottom topography,
I thought these two might be the cause of my cold water as well.
However, other than this coincidence, our surface diagnostics were
showing imbalances in global mean Qnet,
suggesting that the problem was on the surface.

Thank you.

Gus Correa

Samar Khatiwala wrote:

> [...]
>> in data, PARM01
>> If you still get the low temperatures, then you know that it's not
>> the advection schemes. If not, I'll shut up (probably).
>>
>> Gus, what I forgot to mention in my previous email: instead of
>> "useOldFreezing" I recommend using "allowFreezing". With this flag
>> you only reset the surface temperature to -1.9, this acts as a
>> minimal sea-ice model and no supercool temperatures can enter the
>> ocean. Given, I am right about the advection schemes, then there
>> shouldn't be any water below freezing in the ocean.
>>
>> Scott, I don't think 22layers in 4x4 or 2x2 degress is a problem. I
>> do exactly that (actuatlly 23layers with 10m near surface), and the
>> old ecco solutions are 2x2 with 23 layers (10m near the surface).
>>
>> Martin Losch
>> Alfred Wegener Institute
>> Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;

>>> Jeff