[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Samar Khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:08:41 EDT 2008

Hi

I agree with Martin on this. I don't believe this is due to the
advection scheme, partial cells, etc. I have run various uncoupled
simulations at different resolutions, including something very
similar to the ECCO-GODAE 1x1, 23 levels, without running into
this particular problem.

Gus is using an atmospheric mixed layer model which also has (at
least in my version) a thermodynamic sea-ice model. Perhaps,
this should be turned off for the initial testing. Another aspect I
would look into is the geometry. I had problems at one point coupling
this model to another OGCM (in my pre-MITgcm days!!) because it was
tricky to pass it the correct grid areas, etc. Perhaps heat is not
being conserved because of this.

Samar