[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 14 07:42:53 EDT 2008

Jeff,

I think your problem is very different from Gus's problem (and
probably Dror's) and we should be care not to mix different issues,
that why I answer in a separate email.

I think you have me convinced that in your case, the advection
schemes may have something to do with the sub-freezing temperatures.
All the comparisons between advection schemes that I have seen show that
1. SOM has very small but finite overshoots
2. SOM has very small diffusivity
3. Flux limited schemes (such as 77 or 33) have no overshoots
(although in my experience they can have very small ones at very
steep gradients)

So your observations contradict some of my experiences. I don't know
what to say. You time steps seem OK to (although I would just use
1200sec for deltaTmom as long as nothing blows up. You could try
decreasing the deltaTtracer to  3600sec just to try once. It will
certainly make the solution more accurate.

Partial cells: If you have very thin cells, that can be a problem I
think.

I'd have to see the solutions etc in more detail to say more, but
that's probably not feasable via email.

Martin