[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Martin.Losch at awi.de Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Mar 11 19:44:37 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I just cannot believe, that the advection (scheme) alone can produce, what you are observing. Advection schemes can be poor and can produce overshoots/undershoots where there are steep tracer gradients. In the abyssal ocean you generally do not have these steep gradients. Also I have never observed the ocean filling with cold water in my uncoupled runs (with sea ice!!), and if I have observe temps below freezing in the past, I could *always* trace this problem back to numerical stability  issues, eg. the timestep was too large, etc.

I run passive tracers with very steep gradients (0 in one box and 1 in the next initially), and I get overshoots on the order of 1e-6 for the flux limited schemes at most. Certainly not enough to explain your cold temperatures.

Again, my suspicion is, that very cold water is produced probably at the surface (heat flux), which is then immediately convected to lower depths, at the surface being replaced by warmer water. The new warm surface waters will again be cooled (e.g. atmospheric temperatures may be too cold, problems with humidity?) and convect, etc. That way you can easily fill the bottom of the ocean with cold water. Inaccurate advection schemes are much less efficient for doing that (Jean-Michel, say something). In coupled ice-ocean simulations I had situations where I made mistakes with units etc of prescribed atmospheric fields (temperature and salinity), that lead to dramatic ice growth, but never to supercool temperatures in the deep ocean. Diagnose you heat fluxes (eg., diagnostic oceFlx, but there are others that describe the full temperature tendency) and see if it is balanced over longer periods (year to years), I bet it isn't.

I don't see why turning off partial cells should help in this situation, either. Generally, solutions near topography are smoother with partial cells, the only disadvantage I see is that sometimes the cfl-criterion for w is more restrictive with partial cells, but I have not observed that in coarse resolution runs, yet.

In order to rule out the advection schemes as culprits I suggest that you try turning off the advection of tracers altogether. That will give you a completely different circulation in the ocean as only diffusion will distribute tracers, but for a test it should be fine. To do that set
tempadvection=.false.,
saltadvection=.false.,
in data, PARM01
If you still get the low temperatures, then you know that it's not the advection schemes. If not, I'll shut up (probably).

Gus, what I forgot to mention in my previous email: instead of "useOldFreezing" I recommend using "allowFreezing". With this flag you only reset the surface temperature to -1.9, this acts as a minimal sea-ice model and no supercool temperatures can enter the ocean. Given, I am right about the advection schemes, then there shouldn't be any water below freezing in the ocean.

Scott, I don't think 22layers in 4x4 or 2x2 degress is a problem. I do exactly that (actuatlly 23layers with 10m near surface), and the old ecco solutions are 2x2 with 23 layers (10m near the surface).

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797