[MITgcm-support] seaice dynamics stability

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 19 18:52:39 EST 2008

Hi JMC,

As you suggested I am going to decouple ice stress from ocean stress
in attempt to find a more stable seaice solution.
Is all I need to do is comment these lines at the end (lines 216 and
217) of seaice_ocean_stress.F?

   fu(I,J,bi,bj)=(ONE-areaW)*fu(I,J,bi,bj)+areaW*fuIceLoc
   fv(I,J,bi,bj)=(ONE-areaS)*fv(I,J,bi,bj)+areaS*fvIceLoc

-Matt

And dear others,

I find better (closer to observed) seaice coverage with ice dynamics
on.  Unfortunately with my 1/6 solution I have only been able to run
~650 days and I want a 3 year simulation.  My ice area fields show
significant grid scale noise at most times, and the model finally
crashes where ice is being converged into the coasts.

I have played with many parameters, from drag coefficients to
advection schemes....and the crashes are really pretty random...its
frustrating.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

Thanks
Matt