[MITgcm-support] obcs balance

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Dec 19 02:48:57 EST 2008

Dear 名 徐,

the routine where the open boundary conditions are set is
obcs_calc.F. At the bottom of this routine, you'll find the code that
does the balancing. I have never used that part of the code and now
that I look at it, it seems strange that  the loop ranges of the loop
for the calculation of the average flux (the first loop in each
section), to be substracted from the velocity field in the second
loop, range from I=1-Olx,sNx+Olx (for north/south) and J=1-Oly,sNy
+Oly (for east/west).
Naively I would think that they should range only over the
computational domain *without* the overlaps, so I=1,sNx and J=1,sNy,
but I may have overlooked something.

So please try this, and let us know, this may be a bug in the code.

Alternatively you can balance your velocity fields offline, i.e.,
before you prescribe them. That's what I normally do. This way you
can make sure that your fields balance over the period that you want,
e.g. a tidal cycle, a day, a week/month/year/decade (I guess it's a
year in your case).

Martin