[MITgcm-support] calculate zonal mean winds in cube-sphere grid

Yuan Lian lian at email.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 8 20:07:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the zonal mean zonal winds and meridional winds
in cube-sphere grid. The Matlab script "calcZonalAvgCube.m" can calculate
cell centered quantities. Does anyone know how to calculate the zonal
mean quantities at faces of grids, ie, zonal wind "u" and meridional
wind "v"?

I used to convert cube-sphere quantities to latlon grid by using
uvcube2latlon.m.
I would like to know how to do this natively in cube-sphere grid.

I tried to use "calcZonalAvgCube.m" with "ar"="rAw" but the zonal mean
values are different from that calculated by uvcube2latlon.m (2x smaller).

Thanks for any help!

Yuan