[MITgcm-support] OBCs balance and sponge

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 10 13:30:24 EDT 2007

Hi Julie,

The sponge layer slowly brings the interior to the prescribed values...
here is a sample data.obcs with sponge....
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/run_template2/data.obcs
spongeThickness is the number of cells in sponge
(UVTS)relaxobcsinner is the time scale of relaxation at edge of sponge
(UVTS)relaxobcsbound is the time scale of relaxation at wall

obcs balance will balance the volume flux into the basin...i think
this is done by adding a constant to make sure net normal flow is
zero...

i think your problem is a likely a large vertical velocity at edge of
your "OBCS prescribe area" ...do you have the prescribed normal
velocity moving smoothly to zero at this edge?

-Matt