[MITgcm-support] Sea Ice Experiment

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 15 03:07:50 EST 2007

Amitabh, congratulations!  You are definitely going in the right direction.

> if SEAICE_initialHEFF = 1.0,
>
> then why this is showing Sea Thickness as 0 m
>
> in plot of 10 days.

It will depend what your surface level thickness and initial surface temperature
are.  If there is sufficient heat, then you will melt all the ice.  I notice
that you generate some very thick ice in the first few days along the Antarctic
coast and am a bit puzzled.  Would you have some very cold water in your initial
conditions in those regions?

If you are starting in January, for Southern Ocean, I suggest that it is
probably best to start with SEAICE_initialHEFF = 0.0.  Also make sure that your
initial temperature in your ocean domain does not have values below -1.8 to -1.9
deg C.

> Also the sea ice velocity
>
> can be seen upto 40S where no sea ice exists.

That's normal.  The sea ice dynamics solver is applied everywhere on the domain
even though the ice velocity is then used only where there is ice.

> Further from which place the model is
>
> picking up the Sea Ice Concentration since I have not
>
> given any sea ice data 'bin' file.

There will always be a concentration associated with non-zero ice thickness.  In
fact the actual ice thickness is HEFF/AREA.  If you don't specify initial AREA,
then it is simply: IF(HEFF(I,J,k,bi,bj).GT.ZERO) AREA(I,J,k,bi,bj)=ONE

The lab_sea experiment and default parameters for sea ice model are a bit out of
date and I apologize for that.  It's high on my priority list to fix that.  In
the meantime you can use the following files as guidelines:
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/code/SEAICE_OPTIONS.h
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/run_template/data.seaice

Good luck, Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at sbcglobal.net>
5056 Oakwood Ave, La Canada, CA 91011-2450