[MITgcm-support] SPGrid&BOOST

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Nov 14 11:14:28 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:52:22 +0000 (GMT) Riema Rachmayani wrote:

> I'm trying working on SPGrid now. First step is installing spgrid in
> my system, but i still have problem with it. Based on SPGrid
> requirements in 7.5.1 SPGrid installation, there are several program
> and libraries that should be build :
>
>    MatLAB is a run-time requirement since many of the generation
> algorithms have been written as MatLAB scripts:
> http://www.mathworks.com
>
>    the Wild Magic graphics engine (a C++ library) is needed for the
> main ``driver'' code: http://geometrictools.com/
>
>    the NetCDF library is needed for file I/O:
>       http://www.mathworks.com
>
>    the BOOST Serialization library is used for I/O:
>       http://www.boost.org
>
>    a typical Linux/Unix build environment including the make
> utility (preferably Gnu Make) and a C++ compiler (SPGrid was
> developed with g++ v4.x). Step 1-3 seems work properly in my system,
> but when I build the BOOST, i have a problem in BOOST serialization
> to build SpF_classes_test.cpp
>
> Is there anyone know my problem??
> thank you,

Hi Riema,

Its only fair to warn you.  SPGrid is a "proof of concept", not a
polished or user-friendly tool.  I wrote it to learn how to (and show
that one can) create domain-decomposed curvilinear orthogonal grids on
a sphere via iso-contours of Laplace equation solutions.  Please
understand that, in order to use it, you may have to write some C++
code and/or modify some MatLAB scripts.  Its not for the faint-of-heart.

And I'm sorry that I don't have much time to spend updating or helping
others with it.  I'm quite busy with other projects right now.

If the above hasn't scared you off then here are some install
instructions.

On a fairly recent Fedora (e.g., FC6, F7, or F8) system you can get the
SPGrid build requirements using the following commands.  Please note
that you need root permissions for the installs:

  #  get g++, Boost, netcdf, etc...
  yum install netcdf-devel boost-devel autoconf automake gcc-c++

  #  get WildMagic v3.x using:
  rpm -Uvh  \
    http://mitgcm.org/eh3/fedora_misc/libWildMagic-3.9-1.fc5.i386.rpm

  #  Alternatively, get WildMagic by rebuilding the SRPM
  wget  \
    http://mitgcm.org/eh3/fedora_misc/libWildMagic-3.9-1.src.rpm
  rpmbuild --rebuild libWildMagic-3.9-1.src.rpm
  rpm -Uvh ...the freshly built binary rpm...

  #  Install MatLAB v7 or later.  For instance, I know it works
  #  with Matlab 2006a/b

  #  Install the version of Chuck Denham's matlab-netcdf toolbox
  #  available at:
  http://mitgcm.org/eh3/matlab_netcdf/

At this point you should have all the dependencies needed to build and
run the SPGrid C++ and Matlab scripts.  A typical build would be:

  cd spgrid
  autoreconf -i
  CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/netcdf-3" \
    LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/netcdf-3" ./configure
  make

and then look at some of the "driver" programs in spgrid/src to see
examples of how to setup a particular set of tiles to be gridded.
Most of the driver programs include little "ASCII art" diagrams that
show how the tile (aka facet) corners, edges, etc. are arranged and
encoded.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/