[MITgcm-support] Re: AIM_v23

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Wed Nov 14 10:46:15 EST 2007

Hi Christophe,

I transferred your e-mail to the mitgcm-support list, as others
could contribute to/benefit from the discussion (you can register
on http://mitgcm.org/mailman/listinfo/mitgcm-support)

Back to your question: I don't think your problem is related
to AIM/SPEEDY itself. What limits the time-step (and the
performance of the model) is the dynamics. ECHAM is a spectral
model and can achieve large time-steps while the MITgcm is a
grid-point model which, in the particular experiment you are
looking at (aim.5l_LatLon), is probably limited by the
convergence of the meridians at the poles.

That said, you might be able to increase the time-steps by using
two things:
1) the latest JMC numerical improvements (notably the implicit
gravity wave). I put in attachment an example of a "data" file
that activates these options.
2) the cube-sphere grid (an example is in the verification
experiment aim.5l_cs).

Using these 2 elements, a 16 minutes time-steps is possible
with a C32 cube-sphere grid (C32 is about 2.8 degree resolution
not far from the guaussian grid of T42 I think).

Cheers,
david