[MITgcm-support] EmPmRfile, EmPmR

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Mar 22 10:53:13 EDT 2007

Patrick,
there is a flag called "useRealFreshWaterFlux", that makes the model
add volume to the topmost grid cell. I recommend to use it along with
exactConserv = .true. (you need to have the corresponding CPP flag
compiled with it). That should prevent your surface cells from
getting negative salinities.

If you feel really adventurous turn on the non-linear free surface
with r*-coordinates (global_ocean.cs32x15 has an example of this),
but that's not really required for the model use actual freshwater
flux (just makes is even more "physical" and stable for the kind of
forcing that you are trying to apply).

Martin

PS. the EmPmR variable is used always (with or without seaice,
virtual salt flux or not).