[MITgcm-support] Buoyancy anomaly

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Mar 22 04:45:19 EDT 2007

Lee,

1. I am not sure, if you are looking at the appropriate diagnostics.
the density anomaly for a linear equation of state is
rho-rhoConst = rhoNil*tAlpha*(theta(i,j,k,bi,bj)-tRef(k))
Your stratification is the vertical gradient of this.  I believe the
diagnostic for  this is:
       diagName  = 'DRHODR  '
       diagTitle = 'Stratification: d.Sigma/dr (kg/m3/r_unit)'
       diagUnits = 'kg/m^4          '

2. If you use non-hydrostatic dynamics with a coarse resolution (what
is coarse? O(1 km) in the horizontal? the vertical resolution is
usually not that crucial for this) without any vertical mixing
scheme, you may not have any vertical mixing at all. The simplest
choice of vertical mixing scheme is to turn on convective adjustment
( for example, cAdjFreq = -1., ), or use implicit diffusion or KPP.
That should remove any static instabilities (in fact the convective
adjustment implementation in the MITgcm is quite slow in removing
static instabilities). If, on the other hand, you want to resolve
vertical convection with non-hydrostatic dynamics, you need to
resolve the convective scales (I use a resolution < 100m for that at
least).

3. A remark to Christopher's statement:
> (the fact that MITgcm uses relaxation instead of true surface flux
> complicates things, but doesn't change the basic result.)
In fact, with the MITgcm you can use EITHER relaxation, OR a true
surface flux, OR both. To turn on relaxation you can set (in data)
tauThetaClimRelax (PARM03) and  thetaClimFile (PARM05), to use a true
flux set surfQFile (PARM05).

4. PLEASE do send large files to this list (you last email was
4.8MB). There are better formats than eps (jpeg, png, ...), or you
can send links to the files, I you cannot convert them (ImageMagick's
convert command is very hand for converting between graphics formats).

Martin