[MITgcm-support] KPP & OB file

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 2 04:02:11 EST 2007

Hi Riema,

In order to use KPP you have to put "kpp" into your local
packages.conf and you have to set #define SHORTWAVE_HEATING in your
local CPP_OPTIONS.h because kpp requires a two band incoming
radiation (short wave= visible light and long wave = the remaining
part). The model will stop if you don't have short wave heating defined.
You don't need to set any other parameters, unless you are unhappy
with the choice of default values for, say, Ricr, etc. (see
kpp_readparms.F). I have never changed them so far, but it's
possible. KPP then compute vertical mixing coefficients etc based on
your present vertical stratification, vertical shear, surface fluxes,
etc. (see, eg., Large et al 1994 for details)

OBCS:
exp4 gives an example of how to specify CONSTANT (in time) open
boundary values from files:
  useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE., (enables reading from files in general)
  OBNuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin', (example of a file)
[...]
these files were generated with exp4/input/gendata.m. The script tell
you that a filed for the northern (southern) boundary should have the
dimension (nx,nr) and for eastern (western), (ny,nr).

If you want to specify time dependent boundary values you can do that
too. For example, you have hourly data you have create a field
(nx,nr,nt), where nt is the number of "hours" you have. and then you
use the parameters
   periodicExternalForcing=.TRUE.,
   externForcingPeriod=3600.,
in the file "data", in namelist PARM03. If your data is the same
after say 12 hour (ie., that you want to use the fields repeatedly)
then add this parameter in data
  externForcingCycle=43200.,
These parameters that control reading external forcing data (also
surface forcing if you use any) in general. the drawback is that all
forcing data have to be at the exact same time levels. The advantage
is , that it's simple.
The alternative is to use the exf-package, where you can use
different frequencies etc for different input fields, but it's also
far more complicated.

Does that help?