[MITgcm-support] variable state file output

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 17 12:07:50 EST 2007

Hi Michael,
   You can do that pretty easily with the diagnostics package.  They
won't end up in the state files, but they will end up in the
diagnostics output, which can be easily synchronized to snapshot
simultaneously with the state files.  I believe what you want is
diagnosed as 'TOTUTEND' and 'TOTVTEND', that is total u
tendency..."TOTTEND" and "TOTSEND" are temp and salinity, if you want
those, too.
   Better yet, you could diagnose PV fluxes online, and make the
output go directly to diagnostics.  I have thought about doing this a
number of times, but haven't ever put in the effort.  Check out how
the diagnostics package version of TOTUTEND is set up by grepping for
TOTUTEND and see where that leaves you...
   Cheers,
   -Baylor