[MITgcm-support] advective fluxes and transports

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 13 15:18:37 EST 2007

Hi Dimitris (and Paola),
   A bit more:
1) UVELTH is just the correlation between U and T.
2) UTHMASS is the correlation between U and T, weighted by 'mass', or
HFac, which gives free-surface corrections.
3) ADVx_TH is the 'effect of advection'.  It includes flux-limiting
and diffusion from the numerical scheme.

So,
1) for statistics, UVELTH is probably best, because other
complexities are just messing things up.
2) for transports that are 'advective', i.e., no explicit or overt
implicit diffusive fluxes UTHMASS is good.
3) for closing budgets, or for diagnosing the full effect of the
advection operator (which is, when flux-limiting, partly 'diffusive'
in nature) use ADVx_TH.  You will not, for example, be able to easily
account for all the terms leading to dT/dt at a given gridcell unless
you use ADVx_TH.

If you really want to get fancy, you could save all three and see
what the differences are... This allows you to break things down
into, e.g., Stokes drift at the surface due to free surface effects
(UVELTH vs UTHMASS), or how much of ADVx_TH is 'diffusive' versus
'advective'.
    -Baylor

P.S. Keep in mind that second-order centered is not totally without
'diffusive' discretization errors, just that no effort is made to
exploit the diffusive errors to our advantage.  The discretization
errors in second order centered appear as a hyperdiffusion: \nabla^4
T.  Fourth-order centered is less 'diffusive', with discretization
errors appearing only at \nabla^6 T.

Upwinding and flux-limiting exploit the fact that errors can be
steered toward monotonicity and stability by messing around with
diffusive errors at the cost of lower order accuracy. So, for
example, first order upwinding can be thought of as adding an
automatic \nabla^2 T diffusion to a second-ordered centered scheme.
Third-order upwinding can be thought of as adding an automatic
\nabla^4 T hyperdiffusion to a fourth-order centered scheme, etc.
But, the amount of diffusivity added is dependent on velocity, e.g.,
the "effective kappa" added is proportional gridscale*|U| in the
first-order upwind versus second-order centered.  Thus, it is hard to
diagnose after the fact.  Comparing ADVx and UTHMASS allows one to
quickly do so.