[MITgcm-support] advective fluxes and transports

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 13 15:40:36 EST 2007

Small correction:
> P.S. Keep in mind that second-order centered is not totally without
> 'diffusive' discretization errors, just that no effort is made to
> exploit the diffusive errors to our advantage.  The discretization
> errors in second order centered appear as a hyperdiffusion:
> \nabla^4 T.  Fourth-order centered is less 'diffusive', with
> discretization errors appearing only at \nabla^6 T.
This should say the 'diffusive' discretization errors in second order
centered appear as a hyperdiffusion: \nabla^4 T.  Fourth-order
centered is less 'diffusive', with 'diffusive' discretization errors
appearing only at \nabla^6 T.

There are also dispersive advection errors appearing at \nabla^3 T
and \nabla^5 levels respectively...