[MITgcm-support] EVP stability

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 1 19:10:37 EST 2007

Hi Dimitris,

As you said, for her EVP model Hunke used 30s time-step with grid
spacing 16km....at 1/6 deg. resolution my min spacing is
3.8km...about 1/4 this..so I tried 7.5 sec timesteps and the model
blew up on the third timestep.  Very unstable.  I have a 4x2 test
setup and I ran EVP fine on this so I don't think its a bug in the
configuration.  Could it be possible that EVP is just not stable at
these resolutions?  Any advice?  Should I make a small high-
resolution test setup?  Or does anyone else have one?

Thanks
-Matt