[MITgcm-support] ecosystem model - howto

Stephanie Dutkiewicz stephd at ocean.mit.edu
Thu Feb 1 11:10:12 EST 2007

Vincent -
If you look at the documentation for the pkg/gchem,
and look at the two biogeochemical examples pkg/dic and pkg/cfc;
you should be able to get an idea of the easiest way to
add an ecosystem model to the gcm. the ecosystem variable
(N,P,Z etc) will be carried as tracers in pkg/ptracers,
gchem offers places to add the additional code you will
need for the interaction
of these tracers with each other and other enviromental factors:
reading in additional forcing field (eg. light), calculate
the tendencies of the tracers due to biological interactions etc.

See:

http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node1.html

section 6.

What are you planning to look at? Do you have a specific ecosystem
model in mind?  (You can answer these directly to me at
stephd at ocean.mit.edu).

stephanie