[MITgcm-support] advection scheme

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 27 16:47:36 EDT 2007

Julie,

I think you could get away with reducing both your horizontal
viscosity and your horizontal diffusivity. I'm running a model with 5
km resolution and I have Ah = 10 and Kh = 1e-5. I also have a
hyperviscosity of A4 = 5e8 to prevent too much energy from
accumulating at the grid scale. Everything is quite stable with a
time step of 500 s. The smallness of my horizontal Laplacian
viscosity is limited by the need to resolve the Munk layers on the
western boundary. Since you have beta = 0, you may be able to push
the horizontal viscosity even lower.

I'm also using a nonlinear flux limiter (scheme 33) with good
results. I'm not sure what effect it has on the eddies; I use it
primarily to avoid the generation of spurious temperature extrema.

What kind of surface forcing are you using? That can have a great
impact on how many eddies form.

Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe                   858-534-4560
Physical Oceanography Research Division    OAR 357
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu