[MITgcm-support] Re: nonHydrostatic

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 18:10:14 EDT 2007

Christopher, thank you for explanation.  This is then the answer to Geoffroy's
conundrum.  That is, since the only bathymetric feature in his domain is a thin
vertical wall that does not come all the way to the surface, salinity is
everywhere uniform, and temperature is stably stratified and horizontally
homogeneous, I can imagine that his circulation would be marginally stable,
meaning that it may be possible to relax to a uniform stratification simply via
the explicit diffusion terms, horizontal and vertical, without exciting any
motion.  The slightest disturbance to this equilibrium, however, e.g.,
truncation errors in the salinity diffusion equation, could initiate vertical
convection events and currents, exactly as Geoffroy observed.  D.