[MITgcm-support] Re: nonHydrostatic

Geoffroy Aubry gaubry at rip.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Aug 11 11:17:01 EDT 2007

Dimitris Menemenlis a écrit :
> Christopher, thank you for explanation.  This is then the answer to
> Geoffroy's conundrum.  That is, since the only bathymetric feature in
> his domain is a thin vertical wall that does not come all the way to the
> surface, salinity is everywhere uniform, and temperature is stably
> stratified and horizontally homogeneous, I can imagine that his
> circulation would be marginally stable, meaning that it may be possible
> to relax to a uniform stratification simply via the explicit diffusion
> terms, horizontal and vertical, without exciting any motion.  The
> slightest disturbance to this equilibrium, however, e.g., truncation
> errors in the salinity diffusion equation, could initiate vertical
> convection events and currents, exactly as Geoffroy observed.  D.

Hi,

Thank you both for your answers. But there is still something I don't
understand. First of all, if I do an experiment with vertical
diffusivities of 10^-5 both for salinity and temperature, I get
something which can't be physical (velocities of 4m.s^-1). And then,
when the salinity diffusivity is zero, but not the temperature
diffusivity, I don't get any velocities. But I still suppose that if I
wait enough time, I will get a uniform temperature field, but only by a
diffusive process.
So the thing I don't understand is : why does the salt diffusivity have
any influence when the salinity is uniform?

--
Geoffroy