[MITgcm-support] Re: nonHydrostatic

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:56:08 EDT 2007

> is interesting that with a flat bottom nothing happens --- I have
> also verified that in the small 20x16x23, 2-deg lab_sea domain ---
> but that once you add bathymetry, even with a stable temperature
> profile and with uniform salinity, things start moving
> spontaneously.  Would such a behavior be expected in real ocean or
> is it just numerical artifact?  D.

Dimitris,

This behavior is entirely physical, but I wouldn't expect to see it
in the real ocean. Even if you start out with a stable
stratification, there's going to be diffusive fluxes as the system
tries to adjust to a uniform temperature. If the bottom is flat then
the bottom boundary condition is horizontally uniform and the density
remains horizontally uniform throughout the adjustment process. With
topography, location of the bottom boundary condition is no longer
horizontally uniform, so horizontal density gradients develop and the
velocity becomes non-zero.

Also, if your topography pokes up into a region of strong
stratification, there's going to be some rapid local adjustment to
satisfy the bottom boundary condition T_z = 0, which will likely
create horizontal inhomogeneities in the temperature field, leading
to flow.

This shouldn't have anything to do with whether the model is
hydrostatic or not, although the details of the adjustment might.

Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe                   858-534-4560
Physical Oceanography Research Division    OAR 357
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu