[MITgcm-support] Re: nonHydrostatic

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 9 13:53:43 EDT 2007

Geof, I have never used non hydrostatic code.  The reason for replying to you
initially was that I am responsible for diffkrfile so was worried there might be
a bug in implementation.  But the mixing, non-hydrostatic, spontaneous stuff is
really beyond my area of expertise and I am the wrong person to ask.  It is
interesting that with a flat bottom nothing happens --- I have also verified
that in the small 20x16x23, 2-deg lab_sea domain --- but that once you add
bathymetry, even with a stable temperature profile and with uniform salinity,
things start moving spontaneously.  Would such a behavior be expected in real
ocean or is it just numerical artifact?  D.