[MITgcm-support] north-south or south-north gridding?

jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Sep 19 23:31:47 EDT 2006

Hi all,

It's been suggested to me by an experienced modeller that my grid definition, which runs from north (-50) to south (-80) is unconventional and will cause Bad Things to happen when i run mitgcm.  However, it seems to me that mitgcm reads in the latitude spacing just fine, and the bathymetry/initialisation and state...nc files also look fine.  Can anyone tell me whether i need to redefine my grid to run from south to north?

Specifics:
domain specified in /data/parm01 using
   delXFile  and delYFile, where nx=81, x(1) ~ -50, grid is 1 x 1 degree isotropic
phiMin = -50

many thanks,
jill.