[MITgcm-support] north-south or south-north gridding?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Sep 20 02:45:06 EDT 2006

Hi Jill,

the convention is this:
phiMin specifies the SOUTHERN boundary of the model domain (that is
the lat-position of the southernmost v-velocity point). The NORTHERN
boundary is then phiMin + sum(delY) and the latidute coordinates of
the cell centers are something like Y(1) = phiMin + .5*delY(1), Y(2)
= Y(1) + .5*delY(1) + .5*delY(2), etc. (have a look at
ini_spherical_polar_grid.F. The variable names are different from
what I used here. The grid layout is shown in GRID.h). So j=1
corresponds to the southern edge of the domain and j=sNy to northern
part of the domain.

Similarily thetaMin marks the western edge of the domain (default is
0). This is usually not critical as a conventional lat-lon grid is
independent of longitude, it's just convenient to have the correct
lons for, say, the Ross Sea in the output.

If you specify the "wrong" phiMin, all that happens is the your lats
are all shifted north (instead of -80 they start at -50 and go north
from there). The bathymetry looks that same. It is just placed at a
wrong latitude and the main effect is that your coriolis parameter
(sin(2*om*lat)) is wrong (too far north, or even on the wrong
hemisphere).
Have a look at grid.t001.nc and in particular YC and YG, fCori to see
whether you got the grid you wanted.

Martin