[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 16 17:19:37 EST 2006

Martin,

> KPP is not the culprit. I
> turned it of (use cAdjFreq=-1) and the problem persists.

are you sure that turns off KPP?  I haven't looked recently but it didn't used
to in the past?  cAdjFreq used to control convective adjustment.  to turn off
KPP you need to set useKPP=.false. in data.pkg

> with temp/saltAdvScheme = 2 and diffK4T/S = 1.e6, I can suppress the noise, but
> with temp/saltAdvScheme = 33 and diffK4T/S = 1.e6, there is a lot of noise (also with diffK4T/S smaller or 0),

just a thought, maybe your effective diffusivity with diffK4T/S=1.e6 and
AdvScheme=33 is too high and you need to lower diffK4T/S ... or your time step?
with AdvScheme=33 I usually have  diffKhT/S=diffK4T/S=0.