[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Martin.Losch at awi.de Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 16 16:34:32 EST 2006

Hi,
thanks for the KPP suggestion. However, I never had any problems with KPP, and this time again, KPP is not the culprit. I
turned it of (use cAdjFreq=-1) and the problem persists.

Again:
with temp/saltAdvScheme = 2 and diffK4T/S = 1.e6, I can suppress the noise, but
with temp/saltAdvScheme = 33 and diffK4T/S = 1.e6, there is a lot of noise (also with diffK4T/S smaller or 0),
staggerTimeStep = .true.. That's what's really puzzling me. I though that the advection scheme 33 (DST3FL) is extremely
stable and should remove all grid scale noise (in my previous experience it does exactly that). Why not now?

Martin

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797