[MITgcm-support] Guide to output variables?

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 6 15:01:51 EST 2006

Hi there,

manual is always useful place to consult.
E.g. for grid variables:
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node47.html
which covers all variables you mentioned below.

For extensive list of variables that can be diagnosed,
use diagnostics package
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node255.html

Monitor package gives global avg., min., max. of all
quantities, see
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node265.html

Happy surfing!
:o)

-Patrick

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:48 -0800, Jody Klymak wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> I don't know what those are either (well, except Xc is centered x, ph
> is the streamfunction (I think))
>
> Anyhoo, hope youa re enjoying Scripps so far.  Has Jen hooked you up
> with surfboards etc?  You can't be a postdoc there w/o surfing every
> day.  Ignore Paola when she suggests that is decadent.
>
> Cheers,  Jody
>

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Christopher L. Wolfe wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm looking for a guide to the various standard output variables of
> > the MITgcm. I've managed to find a text file which lists the name,
> > units, and format of the possible output variables of the
> > diagnostics package, but not the standard GFD package. The manual
> > does not seem to be much help in this regard. Even the tutorials
> > produce outputs for which no explanation is given. For instance,
> > the 4-layer baroclinic gyre example creates files with names like
> >
> > XC.*
> > XG.*
> > PH.*
> > PHL.*
> > RAC.*
> > RAS.*
> > RAW.*
> > RAZ.*
> >
> > which no indication as to what these variables mean. Any help with
> > this is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Christopher

> Jody Klymak
> http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/

Patrick Heimbach | heimbach at mit.edu | http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach
MIT | EAPS 54-1518 | 77 Massachusetts Ave | Cambridge MA 02139 USA
FON +1-617-253-5259 | FAX +1-617-253-4464 | SKYPE patrick.heimbach