[MITgcm-support] About internal wave simulation

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon May 22 03:30:40 EDT 2006

Hi Lee,

with larger gradients in the initial conditions you generate stronger
currents and that probably violate the CFL criterion (u deltaT/deltaX
gets to large) . Use a smaller time step.

The monitor package captures an "explosion" by checking the
temperature range if it is called before everything has turned to NaN
(if you set monitorFreq < deltaT (or just 1.), then it's called at
every time step, sometimes handy during debugging/figuring out what
parameters to use).

tRef: with linear eos you have rho=rhoNil*(1-alphaT*(theta-tRef) +
betaS*(salt-sRef))

Martin