[MITgcm-support] instantaneous density anomaly diagnostics

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 12 11:58:49 EST 2006

Sergey,

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:33, Sergey Vinogradov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to look at density anomaly instantaneous, not time-averaged,
> output (created in the same manner as Eta.*, T.*, etc in write_state.F,
> with specified dumpFreq).
> 1. Is there any way I can add the line into write_state.F such as
> something like CALL WRITE_FLD_XYZ_RL('RHOA.', suff,
> alphaRho,myIter,myThid) ?
> If done as shown above, it does not know the variable alphaRho (or any
> other "rho-related" variable names) as it is not in the list of
> DYNVARS.h. So it gives an error.

I would instead use diagnostics (our option 2).

> 2. My next option is to use RHOAnoma var in diagnostics pkg. In
> data.diagnostics, is it possible to specify the frequency(1) in a
> meaning of dumpFreq, not taveFreq, as I don't need time-averaging done?
> I can always set frequency(1)=1 and retain only files that correspond to
> dumpFreq but it is not very efficient approach.

Put negative frequencies, that will give snapshosts
instead of time-means.

> 3. I tried to include diagnostics pkg in my setup. It compiled ok but it
> didn't save any output that I specified in data.diagnostcics. I searched
> through our mailing list but I didn't see such problem being mentioned.
> I included data.diagnostics, changed data.pkg and packages.conf (all
> attached). Does anyone see the reason why it wouldn't do the output?
> (the standard output files are still created).

Did you set in data.pkg
 useDiagnostics = .TRUE.
?

-p.

> Thank you,
Patrick Heimbach   Massachusetts Institute of Technology
FON: +1/617/253-5259                  EAPS, Room 54-1518
FAX: +1/617/253-4464             77 Massachusetts Avenue
mailto:heimbach at mit.edu               Cambridge MA 02139
http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach/                        USA