[MITgcm-support] instantaneous density anomaly diagnostics

Sergey Vinogradov svinogra at aer.com
Thu Jan 12 10:33:31 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I need to look at density anomaly instantaneous, not time-averaged,
output (created in the same manner as Eta.*, T.*, etc in write_state.F,
with specified dumpFreq).
1. Is there any way I can add the line into write_state.F such as
something like CALL WRITE_FLD_XYZ_RL('RHOA.', suff,
alphaRho,myIter,myThid) ?
If done as shown above, it does not know the variable alphaRho (or any
other "rho-related" variable names) as it is not in the list of
DYNVARS.h. So it gives an error.
2. My next option is to use RHOAnoma var in diagnostics pkg. In
data.diagnostics, is it possible to specify the frequency(1) in a
meaning of dumpFreq, not taveFreq, as I don't need time-averaging done?
I can always set frequency(1)=1 and retain only files that correspond to
dumpFreq but it is not very efficient approach.
3. I tried to include diagnostics pkg in my setup. It compiled ok but it
didn't save any output that I specified in data.diagnostcics. I searched
through our mailing list but I didn't see such problem being mentioned.
I included data.diagnostics, changed data.pkg and packages.conf (all
attached). Does anyone see the reason why it wouldn't do the output?
(the standard output files are still created).

Thank you,

--
Sergey Vinogradov, Ph.D.,
Oceanography Group