[MITgcm-support] OBCs over topography!

Van Thinh Nguyen vtnguyen at moisie.math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Oct 20 11:09:49 EDT 2005

Hi

I'm confused how to set up the boundary condition at a OB where a
topography intersects with the grid block (please see my figure enclosed).
I would like to simulate internal waves due to a tidal flow over a
depression Gaussian bump in a channel, which has OBCs at West and East,
North & South are closed sides. It looks like the geometry in exp4, the
difference is only the bump (my case is depression bump!).
Model is 3D, but the Fig. enclosed is a (X,Z) section at middle of bump.

At West/East OBs, topography intersects grid block at cell 55 (Z direction
with 80 cells). It means:

- from free surface to cell 55 is OB
- from cell 55 to the bottom is closed

In this case, should I define cells (1-55) are OBCs in data.obcs or I can
define all cells at West/East are OBCs (with OB_Ieast=80*-1,
OB_Iwest=80*1)

Could someone please give a hint for this?

Thanks so much!

Van Thinh