[MITgcm-support] darwinism and mpi

Dmitri Leonov dleonov at ocean.washington.edu
Thu Nov 10 14:36:16 EST 2005

Hi Nicolas,

I'm using LAM mpi 7.1.1 with xlf 8.1 on a cluster of dual G5s under OSX
10.3.
I usually run shared memory experiments using 2 cpus on one node -
because the experiments are 2d with about 400x50 grid size, but I've
used it across nodes as well - and it seemed to work too, but slower
than on one node.

Cheers,
Dmitri

P.S.

Just curious: does anyone know what exactly 'usingMPI' flag means?
In a shared-memory run on 1 dual-cpu node (mpirun c2,3 -D
<fullpath>/mitgcmuv) both ascii output files show something like

(PID.TID 0001.0001) usingMPI =    F ; /* Flag used to control whether
MPI is in use */

In fact MPI is obviously being used, for shared-memory though. (Version:
checkpoint57p_post)

Thanks,
Dmitri