[MITgcm-support] Re: single layer run

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri May 13 10:08:53 EDT 2005

Hi Sergey,

I am convinced that even in the case of constant (in time) pressure
forcing you should end up with a steady state that is non-zero, also in
the case of a single layer.

Try (possibly in an idealized configuration) starting from rest (ssh =
0, single layer), without any forcing. The system should remain
motionless. Then add constant pressure forcing (pLoadFile) in pressure
units, after adjustment processes have faded away, the circulation
should be steady (and non-zero), according to the inverted barometer
effect. If this all works, you know at least that the model has no
serious problem.

Martin