[MITgcm-support] Re: single layer run

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 10:15:26 EDT 2005

> I am convinced that even in the case of constant (in time) pressure
> forcing you should end up with a steady state that is non-zero, also
> in the case of a single layer.

Martin and Sergey, I have been following your discussion with some
interest.  I don't understand why a constant in time surface pressure
forcing would establish a non-zero circulation at steady state.  Isn't
the inverse barometer adjustment meant to insure that there is no such
circulation, i.e., that (for a flat ocean) the pressure at the bottom of
be constant?

Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology