[MITgcm-support] query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Mar 2 07:03:35 EST 2005

Hi,
if you really want to use the POLY3 equation of state, then there are
fortran programs in
${ROOT}/utils/knudsen2
(knudsen2.f, and unesco.f). both compute the coefficents of a third
order polynomial fit to the "real" equation of state (which is the
knudsen formula in one case and the unesco formula in the other).
You'll have to edit the files for your configuration (change #levels,
deltaZ etc.)

However, I recommend, that you use a different equation of state, e.g.
JMD95Z, JMD95P, MDJWF, all of which are "full" nonlinear equations of
state. the first two are based on the unesco formula with adjusted
coefficients to compute the density from salinity and potential
temperature (ref: Jackett+McDougall 1995, JTECH or JPO, i forget
which). the third one is a different polynomial according to McDougall
etal (2003, JTECH). JMDP95P and MDJWF use pressure levels to compute
density, JMD95Z simply uses z-levels (p=-rho0*g*z).

Martin