[MITgcm-support] viscAh & viscAz!

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 7 13:36:42 EDT 2005

Hi Goran,
   I'm not sure how the flags are set for generic_advdiff...  Perhaps
using mom_vecinv flips it? (JMC can comment?).
   You are in a similar situtation to the one that inspired me to add
viscC2leithD, high-res and wanting to use Leith.  The Leith scheme only
detects vortical motions (i.e., it is proportional to grad(horizontal
relative vorticity)).  However, once your grid is smaller than the
deformation radius, divergent motions can be important, and in fact you
can have divergent instabilties.  Thus, I added viscC2leithD, which
squashes grad(div v) the same way that ordinary Leith squashes
grad(curl v).  Leith originally proposed the scheme for purely 2-d
calculations (where there is no div v), so this is just a little tweak.
    I'd propose to use

viscc2leith=0.2,
viscc2leithd=0.2,

instead of
viscc4leith=0.2,

See if that works.  You might crank up the values to 1 if it doesn't
work initially.
   Cheers,
    -Baylor