[MITgcm-support] query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Feb 15 06:16:54 EST 2005

Amitabh,
the problem is fairly simple to diagnose: When you change the
topography you make a few grid cells "wet" that have been "dry" with
the default topography (which is, BTW, derived from etopo5, you also
probably have now dry cells that were wet with the default topography,
but they don't cause these problems). The initial temperature and
salinity fields (lev_t.bin and lev_s.bin) are derived (from World Ocean
Atlas 1994, Levitus etal) by interpolating them according to the
default bathymetry, so in these formerly dry cells that are wet with
your bathymetry, you have zeros for temperature and salinity. These
values cause the program to stop.
You have two choices:
1. comment out the appropriate lines in model/src/ini_theta.F and
ini_salt.F, but this will only lead to vigorous adjustment processes
that will cause the model to blow up unless you choose a very small
timestep. So don't do that.
2. interpolate (potential) temperature and salinity so there are
non-zero values everywhere. It's completely up to you to do that. I
usually define the bathymetry and layerthicknesses, run the model once
until it stops with the same error messages that you get and then I use
the information in hFacC.001.001.data/meta (or grid.000001.nc if you
are using the netcdf interface) to do the interpolation. hFacC is the
3D-landmask variable, it is 0 for a dry cell, 1 for a wet cell and
between 0 and 1 for a partial/looped cell (which you could treat as 1
for interpolation for a start, although not accurate).

hope that helps,
Martin