[MITgcm-support] combining multi-PE NetCDF files into a single file

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Feb 2 05:45:42 EST 2005

Eli,Ed,

I have just checked in a fix for the problems that I described earlier.
Ed, I am pretty sure that this should also work with Matlab7, but I
don't have Matlab7 available, could you please test it?

mnc_assembly.m should now work with output from multiple processors OR
multiple tiles, but maybe not with mulitple tiles on multiple
processors.

Martin

On Feb 1, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Martin Losch wrote:

> Eli, Ed,
>
> I have had difficulties with mnc_assembly and Matlab6.1. You'll have
> to replace all "||" and "&&" by "|" and "&" in order to make it work
> with Matlab_pre7 (I don't have Matlab7 so I cannot test it with a
> later version.
>
> Stick to the example in
> develmopment/edhill/mnc_assemply/mnc_assem_test.m: the argument vars
> has to be a structure (not a cell as described in the help section of
> mnc_assembly).
>
> Another problem:
> For my output mnc_assembly does not assemble anything, but writes only
> one tile to the output file. I don't know why this is, but I suspect
> is has to do with the bi,bj's in my netcdf files:
> they are all 1. Ed, I don't know whether I have this because don't use
> the latest version of the code (haven't tried it, yet), or because
> bi,bj=1 if you use only 1 tile per processor? Your examples all have
> nPx=nPy=1 and nSx,nSy>1, whereas I have nSx=nSy=1 and nPx,nPy>1
>
> what do you think?
>
> Martin
>

> On Feb 1, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Ed Hill wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:16 +0200, Eli Galanti wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> when running with packege mnc on several processors, how do I
>>> combine the files
>>> into a single file?
>>>
>>> for example:
>>>
>>> grid.0000.000001.nc