[MITgcm-support] since we are talking about mnc...

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Dec 15 16:10:13 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:07 -0500, Nicolas Wienders wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2005, at 2:54 PM, Martin Losch wrote:
>
> > Nicolas,
> > looks to me as if "netcdf.inc" is not included where these
> > subroutines are declared as external functions. At the genmake2
> > step, do you see an error/warning about genmake2 not finding any
> > netcdf installation? If so, you'll have to include the path to your
> > netcdf files in your options file (INCLUDES, and LIBS).
>
> Curiously enough netcdf.inc  didn't come in the include directory of
>   the apt installation of netcdf that we did.
>
> This is why we installed also some more files via installiotn of hdf
> (that contains netcdf.inc).
>
> And as the message was showing i have included the hdf include files....
>

> >> cat mnc_cw_cvars.F | ../../../tools/set64bitConst.sh |  cpp  -
> >> traditional -P -D_BYTESWAPIO -DWORDLENGTH=4 -DHAVE_SYSTEM -
> >> DHAVE_FDATE -DHAVE_ETIME -DHAVE_CLOC -DHAVE_STAT  -I/usr/include -
> >> I/usr/include/hdf > mnc_cw_cvars.f
> >> g77 -Wimplicit -Wunused -Wuninitialized -O3 -funroll-loops -c
> >> mnc_cw_cvars.f
>

> Should we restart from zero and compile the netcdf library ourselves
> so that it will
> include netcdf.inc?

Hi Nicolas,

Some folks who package netCDF do a lousy job because they only build the
C interface and ignore the Fortran interface.  That could be what you're
encountering.

If you use Fedora Core 4 Linux, then it comes (by default!) with a very
convenient set of netCDF and related packages that can be installed with
the amazingly simple command:

  [become root then:]
  yum install netcdf netcdf-devel

and MITgcm (with MNC and netCDF) will "just work" with the included GCC
compiler.  Very convenient!

And Fedora Core 4 also provides:

  yum install udunits ncview nco cdo hdf hdf-devel hdf5 hdf5-devel

along with gobs of other useful packages.  And yes, Fedora Core 4 fully
supports the AMD64 (aka: x86_64) architecture.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307