[MITgcm-support] sponge layer

Stephanie Dutkiewicz stephd at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:21:10 EST 2005

David -
I recently checked in a pkg/rbcs which essentially does what
I think you are after, but only for ptracers. The packages reads
in a three-d field that will set the relaxation timescale (so this
timescale can be spatially variable). I set this pkg up to read in
temperature and salinity files to relax to...but never added the
code to do so
(didn't want to offend any coding guru's by implementing such
  a crude sponge layer for T/S when the OBCS were there...), but
if there is a need for such a thing, it will be easy to do...adding
something like rbcs_add_tendency for t and s.

Anyone object?

steph
ps. I include a sample data.rbcs so you can get an idea of the
switches.