[MITgcm-support] sponge layer

David Wang dwang at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 14 16:59:16 EST 2005

Hello...

I'm going to implement "sponge layers" near artificial domain boundaries
within which model temperature may be restored to some temperature
climatology (say Levitus94) at different relaxation timescales. I've
already checked out the sponge layer option in the obcs pkg, where the
relaxation temperature is the linear combination of model temperature
and the prescribed temperature at the boundary. This is not really what
I want. If I need to write some extra code to achieve my purpose (which
is not uncommon), could anyone provide any guidelines... or did I miss
anything?

btw, I did notice the 3-dim relaxation code emerged in the latest
checkpoint, but its relaxation timescale is set to be spatically constant...

Thanks, David