[MITgcm-support] sponge layer

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 14 17:26:05 EST 2005

Hi David,

To restore to a value use obcs prescribe and make the location an
"open boundary"; the model will set the field to the prescribed value
at this open boundary at the end of every forward step.

Sponge layers are designed to allow a smooth transition to a
prescribed value (I think they will still work with obcs_prescribe
off).  For an artificial restoring force the difference between the
model and the prescribed data (divided by some timescale) is used.
The MITgcm does this with the timescale falling off linearly over the
sponge layer thickness.

It is not clear to me if you want something else besides this?

-Matt