[MITgcm-support] [Fwd: outputH]

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Aug 4 09:22:32 EDT 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: Ming Guo <gming at karluk.physics.mun.ca>
> Subject: outputH
> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:32:17 -0230 (NDT)
> Hi,Ed,
> I have tried exp0 and exp1, and seems no output files containing
> velocity field.
> I checked the manual and found no instruction about that, except in 3.16.
> So can you give me some advice on how to control the output properties?
>
> Thanks,
> Ming

Hi Ming,

Please don't send emails to me directly.  The correct place to send
support emails for MITgcm is:  MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org

In regards to the generation of output, most of the experiments in
MITgcm/verification are setup to only run for a few (usually, <20) time
steps.  And they are also set, by default, not to produce a lot of
output.  The reason is that we run these tests frequently on a lot of
machines and don't want to create a lot of unused output that can slow
down the runs and/or fill hard disks.

So, to make sure that you get some output, please edit the main "data"
namelist file so that these *Freq parameters:

  dumpFreq, chkptFreq, pChkptFreq, monitorFreq, taveFreq

are small enough to occur within the [startTime,endTime] interval.  Or,
alternatively, you can just increase endTime but that may take a long
time for the model to run.

And the procedure is similar for other output types such as diagnostics.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307