[MITgcm-support] genmake2 problem on alpha

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Sep 23 22:05:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 18:43, jeff polton wrote:
> Ed, I still get errors with the new checkpoint55 files. The error is
> particularly odd.
>
>  >../../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code
> -of=/due3/jeff/safe/osf1_alpha_f90
> blah blah ....
>    Searching for *OPTIONS.h files in order to warn about the presence
>      of "#define "-type statements that are no longer allowed:
>      found CPP_EEOPTIONS="../../../eesupp/inc/CPP_EEOPTIONS.h"
>      found CPP_OPTIONS="../../../model/inc/CPP_OPTIONS.h"
> Segmentation fault
>
> I've tracked down the error to the test_for_package_in_cpp_options
> function, which calls the     test_for_string_in_file subfunction 4
> times. Regardless of the order of these 4     test_for_string_in_file
> subfunctions, test_for_package_in_cpp_options fails after completing
> the 2, of 4, subfunctions without even entering the 3 calling of the
> test_for_string_in_file subfunction.
>
> I don't understand that.
> Any ideas gratefully received.

Hi Jeff,

So now genmake2 is producing a seg fault?  Wow.  Thats clearly a bug in
the interpreter since no shell code should ever seg fault.  Just out of
curiosity, could you please report which shell its running under?

I know that genmake2 works on other alpha systems since I routinely use
it on the Halem alpha cluster at gsfc.nasa.gov.  Please install the Gnu
bash shell:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html

using

  $ wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-2.05b.tar.gz
  $ tar -xzf bash-2.05b.tar.gz
  $ cd bash-2.05b
  $ ./configure
  $ make
  # make install

and that will (in all likelihood) fix your problem.

Alternatively, you may be able to find pre-compiled bash or Bourne shell
binaries for your alpha and these might be easier to install.  I'm not
used to admin-ing alphas so I don't know where to find binary archives
but they probably do exist.

Good luck!
Ed

ps - If you don't have root permissions for a system-wide install, you
  can install bash locally with:

  $ wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-2.05b.tar.gz
  $ tar -xzf bash-2.05b.tar.gz
  $ cd bash-2.05b