[MITgcm-support] Re: heat fluxes and density

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Nov 29 08:58:01 EST 2004

Dan,

I agree with Ed, use something more recent like checkpoint56. I don't
see any reason why you  would want to use a version that is even older
than Release 1 (not that that is up to date (o: ).

Your questions:
1. Density: besides the matlab script that Ed suggested I have one for
the eosType=MDJWF, which I am happy to share, and there is one for
POLY3 in the downloaded code: utils/matlab/dens_poly3.m. For a linear
equation of state you'll have to do it yourself, but that shouldn't be
hard.
For "online"-output, you'd have to include code to output density, and
that would work only if you used one tile/processor. I would refrain
from doing that unless you want temporal averages.

2. Diagnose heat fluxes: with a later checkpoint, you'd be able to
output diagnosed heat and (virtual) salt fluxes directly by turning on
time-averaging (set timeaveFreq to something finite in data). If you
don't want to do that, you'll have to diagnose it from the output and
your restoring fields in the following way:
(Tsurf-Trestore)*dz*Cp*rhoNil/tauTheta,
where Tsurf is the surface temperature of the model, Trestore your
restoring temperature, dz the layer thickness of your top layer, Cp the
heat capacity (either the default 3994.0 or whatever you set it to in
data), rhoNil a constant reference density (default 999.8 or whatever
you set it to in data), and tauTheta the restoring timescale
(tauThetaClimRelax in data).

Martin