[MITgcm-support] Re: heat fluxes and density

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Nov 29 07:49:50 EST 2004

> > From: Dan Conipo <dconipo at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: heat fluxes and density
> > Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:49:48 -0800 (PST)
> > Hi,
> > I'm a new user of the code. I'm using a version c39.
> > I would like to know
> > 1. if there is a way to compute the density automatically, as a
> > output variable. Have you any suggestions to do that in MatLab? I
> > should plot the vertical circulation as a function of density and
> > not depth.
> > 2. if it's possible to compute the heat fluxes starting from a
> > restoring sst to force the circulation.
> >
> > Please, reply me.

Hi Dan,

We *strongly* recommend that you use a more recent version.  A large
number of bugs have been fixed and features added since "checkpoint39"
was released way back in May, 2001.  A far better choice would be
checkpoint56 which can be obtained at:

  http://mitgcm.org/download/MITgcm_checkpoint56.tar.gz

And in regards to your questions:

 1) Depending upon which EoS you use, density can be computed
    off-line (that is, after the model has been run) from
    depth, salinity, and temperature using the following
    MatLAB scripts:

http://mitgcm.org/cgi-
bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/eddy_flux/densjmd95.m
http://mitgcm.org/cgi-
bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/eddy_flux/eh3densjmd95.m

    Otherwise, its fairly easy to modify MITgcm to output
    the densities directly.

 2) Someone else will have to help you with the heat flux
    calculations -- I'm not as familiar with them.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307