[MITgcm-support] Another strange mnc behavior

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 3 23:01:44 EST 2004

Hi Ed and company,
  I got the following error while running my model for a long run.
O(4000 snapshots desired) model stopped after 2001 were output.

   (PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** MNC_GET_NEXT_EMPTY_IND: array
size   1000 exceeded--try increasing MNC_MAX_ID

  I increased mnc_max_id to 10,000, and restarted.  I suppose this will
fix this problem (we'll see when I get there!), but I noticed one more
subtle but en route:  the last pickup file that was to be written was
incomplete.   From ncdump:

netcdf pickup.0000023520.0000.000001 {
dimensions:
        T = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
        Xp1 = 76 ;
        Y = 25 ;
        Z = 24 ;
        X = 75 ;
        Yp1 = 26 ;
variables:
        int iter(T) ;
                iter:long_name = "iteration_count" ;
        double U(T, Z, Y, Xp1) ;
                U:units = "m/s" ;
                U:coordinates = "XU YU RC iter" ;
        double V(T, Z, Yp1, X) ;
                V:units = "m/s" ;
                V:coordinates = "XV YV RC iter" ;
        double Temp(T, Z, Y, X) ;
                Temp:units = "degC" ;
                Temp:long_name = "potential_temperature" ;
                Temp:coordinates = "XC YC RC iter" ;
        double S(T, Z, Y, X) ;
                S:long_name = "salinity" ;
                S:coordinates = "XC YC RC iter" ;
        double Eta(T, Y, X) ;
                Eta:long_name = "free-surface_r-anomaly" ;
                Eta:units = "m" ;
                Eta:coordinates = "XC YC RC iter" ;
        double gUnm1(T, Z, Y, Xp1) ;

// global attributes:
                :the_run_name = "" ;
                :MITgcm_URL = "http://mitgcm.org" ;
                :MITgcm_tag_id = "1.362 2004/10/01" ;
                :MITgcm_mnc_ver = 0.9 ;
                :tile_number = 1 ;
                :bi = 1 ;
                :bj = 1 ;
                :xC0 = 0. ;
                :yC0 = 0. ;
                :sNx = 75 ;
                :sNy = 25 ;
                :OLx = 3 ;
                :OLy = 3 ;
                :nSx = 1 ;
                :nSy = 1 ;
                :nPx = 1 ;
                :nPy = 1 ;
                :Nx = 75 ;
                :Ny = 25 ;
                :Nr = 24 ;
}

So this file is missing gvnm1, gsnm1, etc.

I am saving pickups frequently, so this wasn't really a problem, but
somebody could've really gotten screwed if the didn't get a correct p-u
file at the end of a long run...
  Cheers,
    -Baylor